Grievances at Work

When an employee feels unfairly treated or dissatisfied with something their employer has done, it is normally advised that they raise a written grievance unless the problem can be resolved informally.

If they are dissatisfied because they have been given a warning or dismissed by their employer, they will probably want to appeal.

But what should go in the grievance or appeal and how should it be handled? If you feel unhappy about something serious that has happened to you in connection with your work, but you don’t know what to do about it, then you should seek advice from an employment law specialist at Morecrofts.

It is likely that we will advise you that you should submit a grievance, or if you have been disciplined, submit an appeal. You may need our help in the preparation of your written grievance or appeal to make sure that you are addressing all the areas that concern you in the correct way.

Whilst it is no longer compulsory to present a grievance before lodging an employment tribunal claim, it is still good practice, and a tribunal can reduce your compensation if you have failed to follow the employer’s grievance procedure.

If a grievance can be resolved by your employer to your satisfaction, it can avoid the dispute becoming more unpleasant and more stressful. It can also be less expensive if matters can be resolved at the internal grievance stage.

To find out more or to speak to someone, call 0151 236 8871, email or use our contact form.

Was this article helpful?

Call: 0151 236 8871 Email: Call: 0151 236 8871