Message us via WhatsApp

Estate Administration Services

How do I deal with property when a loved one dies?

If you have been made the executor or administrator of a lost loved one’s estate, you’re responsible for distributing it among the people who are entitled to it. 

This may involve:

  • Paying debts and taxes (before you distribute the estate)
  • Selling assets
  • Investing money 
  • Dealing with the sale of a house or a flat 

An estate refers to everything that is owned by someone who has died. This may be made up of:

  • Personal possessions (vehicles, furniture, jewellery or objects from their home) 
  • Property (houses, flats or other buildings)
  • Money (including cash, money being kept in a bank or building society account and money that is owed to the deceased person)
  • Shares
  • Businesses
  • Investments 

Dealing with property after death can be complicated as it’s easy for someone inexperienced to take unauthorised action without realising the legal implications. It’s important that you seek the help of a legal professional due to the restrictions on the way in which money can be invested or dealt with.  

How can Morecrofts help me with dealing with property?

There are many circumstances that may complicate distributing the deceased’s estate. 

Morecrofts’ expert team can help to make dealing with property after someone’s death as straightforward as possible, no matter the situation. With skilled professionals in family and property law, we can educate, advise and guide you through the process. 

We understand how upsetting it is to lose a loved one and our team are here to take as much stress off you as possible, dealing with the complex legal procedures involved during this difficult time.

Contact our solicitors

At Morecrofts, our experienced team of solicitors are here to answer any questions you have about dealing with property. If you would like to discuss your situation with one of our solicitors, call us on 0151 236 8871, email us at or fill out our contact form.

Our charges for obtaining the grant of probate or grant of administration

We offer a number of levels of services to assist clients through the difficult process of obtaining the Grant of Probate OR Grant of Administration.

More info Link

Enduring Powers of Attorney

LPAs replaced Enduring Powers of Attorney (EPAs) in 2007, when the Mental Capacity Act came into force.

More info Link

Court of Protection Solicitors

Our Private Client team will be able to advise you and deal with all applications to the Court of Protection and registrations with the Office of the Public Guardian.

More info Link

Will Writing Solicitors

Although it may seem sombre, making a Will is one of the most important things you can do.

More info Link

Trust Solicitors

When planning how you will provide for your loved ones upon your death you may want to consider setting up trusts.

More info Link

Solicitors for the Elderly

With so much to consider when looking at your affairs and family's future, we can work with you to ensure your wishes are fulfilled.

More info Link

Gifting Property Advice

Gifting your home to your children can be complicated. It's important to be clear on all angles.

More info Link

Inheritance Tax Planning Services

If you are keen to minimise the tax payable on your death, there are steps you can and should take now.

More info Link

Powers of Attorney Solicitors

It is really important to appoint somebody who has authority to manage your affairs if you are unable to do so yourself.

More info Link

Tax Law Advice

The tax issues relating to a person's estate can be complicated. Our expert Private Client team can help.

More info Link