Education and Health Specific Issues

You may have a real concern or wish about your child’s health, education or religion that is not shared by the child’s other parent. It is possible to ask the court to make orders under s8 of the Children Act 1989 in relation to these issues. Such orders are called Specific issue orders.

The court could be asked to stipulate which school a child attends, alternatively you can ask a court to prohibit a parent moving a child’s school. Such orders are made under s8 of the Children Act 1989 and are called Prohibited steps.

In any proceedings before the court the overriding principle is that the child’s welfare is paramount. This is especially critical if parents cannot agree with medical treatment that is being suggested for their child. It may involve inoculations or blood transfusions or other medical therapy. If parents cannot agree or if they don’t agree with suggestions by the treating doctors then we can advise you on ways in which the court may assist.

Courts orders are not made lightly and should only be applied for where there is no alternative. At Morecrofts, our expert team of family law specialist will advise you on other methods for resolution such as mediation and negotiation. If these methods aren’t suitable for you and you wish to move to more formal proceedings we have the experience to advise you on the court procedures and applications should that be necessary.

We understand how worrying legal costs can be so have a range of payment options available to suit your budget and needs. We offer fixed fee packages alongside our traditional fee system and we work with you to decide which is best for you and your family. 

To find out more about our first class legal services call us on 0800 949 9123 or use the enquiry form.