Every new year bring with it new goals, exciting times and unexpected news.
Maybe 2019 will be the year your family grows, a new child, grandchild, a wedding perhaps?
This could be the year you buy your first house or finally start the business you have been dreaming about.
If 2019 is your year to embrace new challenges then it should also be your year to make a New Year’s resolution that you can stick to, it might not make you fitter and healthier but it will help you look after your family and loved ones.
Many people say their new year’s resolution is to ‘be more organised’ – and within this, you should make a Will.
By preparing a Will –
- You can appoint the person you want to deal with your estate and you can let them know what your funeral wishes are
- If you have children you can name someone as their legal guardian to look after them and you can name someone to look after their money until they are old enough to manage it themselves.
- You can divide your assets exactly as you want when you make a will. Your Will will specify what assets you want to leave to your family, friends, a charity or any other organisation
- You can ensure that you pay the lowest amount of Inheritance Tax possible; there is legislation in place that allows married couples and people in civil partnerships to use each others allowances, including the relatively new residential nil rate band.
- You can significantly reduce stress and conflict. It’s surprising how many families encounter conflicts over the division of assets even if the assets are small in monetary value.
Make 2019 the year you make a Will!
More information on making your will here